Last year for Christmas we were in Cairo…this year Alexandria–not Egypt, but Virginia. As a result, last Christmas Eve, we promised to do next year’s Christmas BIG…well, not that big, but anything is bigger than last year. What a difference a year can make.
Check it out…I’m pretty pleased…but now I have more pressing things to do, like unpack our final shipment of furniture and such from Jordan that arrived yesterday.
Here are the steps:
1. I created a template from thin cardboard, fashioned after a picture of our house.
2. Make the gingerbread dough. I used Martha Stewart’s recipe here. http://www.marthastewart.com/342245/molasses-gingerbread-cookies
3. Roll out the dough; place template pieces over dough to cut out shapes; bake.
4. Here’s my favorite part. I smashed up butterscotch candy to melt into the windows so that they would light up.
5. Assemble all of the pieces.
6. Assemble the house using royal icing as the glue. This step got a little dicey with no one to help hold the roof into place, resulting in a slight slope.
7. And the finished product…