Moroccan Chicken Skewers with Couscous with Currents, Barberries (if I could find them), Mint, and Parsley
Moroccan Chicken Skewers
- 1 small onion, quartered
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbl. ground cumin
- 1 tbl. caraway seeds
- 1 tbl. sambal oelek (or ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes)
- 1 tbl. paprika
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 2.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken cut into 1.5 in. pieces
- Salt & pepper
- chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or cilantro
Marinade: Puree the marinade ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Thread the chicken onto bamboo skewers and place in a large baking dish. Pour marinade over chicken and turn to coat well. Cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight.
To make the chicken: Preheat the grill to medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and grill until no longer pink and cooked through, turning frequently, abut 10 minutes.
Transfer the skewers to a platter. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Couscous with Currents, Barberries, and Mint
- 3 tbl. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 2 cups couscous
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/3 cup currants
- ¼ cup barberries (optional; found at Persian stores)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tbl. chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp. grated orange zest
- Salt and pepper
Combine the olive oil, garlic, salt, turmeric, and 2.5 cups water in a heavy, medium-sized saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the couscous. Cover and let stand 5 minutes.
Fluff the couscous with a fork and transfer it to a large bowl. Cool slightly.
Stir in the green onions, pine nuts, currants, barberries, mint, orange zest, orange juice, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.