Living in a Chateau, If Only for a Week

20 Jun

Our second leg of the trip was spent in the Loire Valley, France. Here we had the privilege of staying in a splendid Chateau (Chateau de la Noue) dating back to the 16th century.We stayed in one wing of the Chateau, equipped with all of the necessary creature comforts (including a DVD player, which enabled us to watch seasons 7 and 8 of Curb Your Enthusiasm–the nights got a little long, but we were in good company with Larry David).

The Chateau is located in the quaint village of Villedomer, a perfect jumping off point to many of our day trips throughout the week. The Chateau is blanketed by a beautiful forest of trees, including pine, sequoia, and chestnut. The only sounds to be heard were frogs in the pond and an occasional ‘moo’ of the neighboring farm’s cows. During our stay, we saw two deer, hares, and rabbits, and enjoyed walking along the grounds foraging for mini strawberries.

Itty bitty strawberries

The owner of the Chateau is warm and friendly, without being intrusive. She welcomed us with a bottle of Vouvray (from Touraine, just east of Tours–my new favorite wine), made a delicious dessert for us one night, and invited us over for hors d’oeuvres and wine on another night.

The Front

The Chapel, behind our wing

The backside of the Chateau

Local Vouvray

Dessert one night

What I liked most about staying at Chateau de la Noue was the unique experience it provided. Rather than staying in a sterile, perfectly appointed hotel room, we were afforded a more authentic experience–we drove hundreds of miles on small windy roads, shopped in local markets, and made many a pit stop to the abundant patisseries in every town. After exploring Chateaus throughout the week, staying at a place like this gave me an appreciation for the workmanship, upkeep, and history of the Chateaus.

About these ads

27 Responses to “Living in a Chateau, If Only for a Week”

1. Cloches & Lavender June 20, 2012 at 1:44 pm #

beautiful I would never leave.

Cynthia

2. Mom Mom's Apron June 20, 2012 at 2:03 pm #

Oh, that looks heavenly! I am definitely filing this place away for “one day.”

3. joe palumbo June 20, 2012 at 2:04 pm #

I am ready to go back, I just have to make more money. Oh that’s right, I am retired, no more opportunities for making money, just spending it before the kids get it.. The pictures make the trip come to life again, thanks for taking the time to record this wonderful experience.. Love, Joe aka Dad

4. Christine Miller June 20, 2012 at 2:16 pm #

Jen,
    what a lovely comment about your stay at La Noue…in fact, this is not a comment but a real travel blog…what a talent you have to write… thank you so much for the lovely description of the property and your experience at La Noue and the Loire Valley. I hope you and your family return some day to expand the discoveries in this part of France…

5. La Deetda Reads June 20, 2012 at 2:27 pm #

Lovely Chateau, Jen, so romantic. Can you give us any history of it?

6. NTP June 20, 2012 at 3:33 pm #

Tobie, I am planning a trip with you and me, same place, next summer. I can’t wait!

• NTP June 20, 2012 at 3:34 pm #

Where can I find that wine? I am going to look at BevMo. I will tell you the price if I find it :)

• jenmaaninamman June 20, 2012 at 7:33 pm #

Check for it at TJ’s, World Market or the Wine Club.

• Christine Miller June 21, 2012 at 7:14 am #

The Vouvray wine is found in the US, at wine stores including at Trader Joe’s (but only in quiet wine – not bubbly). One brand only in most places… little choice as Vouvray wine growers are small wineries and export sparingly… Hope this helps…

• NTP June 22, 2012 at 12:08 am #

Thank you Christine. I will look for it tomorrow and let you know how I did purveying it in my neck of the woods. What a beautiful property you have! I love the sound of quiet wine-very peaceful:)

• NTP June 22, 2012 at 12:05 am #

Thank you jenmaaninamman! Tobie and I are heading out as we speak!

• jenmaaninamman June 20, 2012 at 7:32 pm #

Sorry, it’s already booked for the Palumbo family reunion–me, Raj, and my parents.

• NTP June 22, 2012 at 12:05 am #

So rude!!!

7. restlessjo June 20, 2012 at 5:32 pm #

Sounds like a great way to travel. I’ve only been to Paris. So much more of France to explore.

• jenmaaninamman June 22, 2012 at 6:32 pm #

There is so many place. Someday we would like to go to southern parts of France.

8. Kim M. Hatfield June 20, 2012 at 5:34 pm #

It sounds so relaxing!

9. jothetartqueen June 21, 2012 at 1:56 am #

wow gorgeous! would love to stay in a chateau someday! thanks for sharing!

10. Leslie Chapman June 22, 2012 at 1:37 pm #

Staying over at such a beautiful place looks like a dream come true! I have been to Paris, but haven’t had the opportunity to explore other parts of France. I hope to some day go back to Europe :)

• jenmaaninamman June 22, 2012 at 4:49 pm #

It was a wonderful visit. I hope you make it back.

11. danigard June 23, 2012 at 10:29 am #

Sounds absolutely perfect! I’d love to live in France for a while and soak up all the beautiful things it has to offer. So jealous ; )

12. Janice July 1, 2012 at 2:31 pm #

Life of the rich and famous

13. Gita Mani July 11, 2012 at 12:44 am #

Gorgeous photos! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and giving me the pleasure of finding yours. :)

14. Bron August 7, 2012 at 7:51 pm #

Oh wow – I’ve visited chateaus but to have stayed in one… what a lovely experience!