Cinnamon Swirl Bread

• 1 1/4 c warm whole milk (110 degrees) [I used nonfat milk]
  • 3 T unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus extra for brushing
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 4 c all-purpose flour
  • 1 envelope (2 1/2 t) rapid-rise or instant yeast
  • 1 1/2 t salt

1. Mix the sugars and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Measure out 2 T and reserve for the topping. Whisk the milk, melted butter, and egg yolks together in a large liquid measuring cup.

2. Combine 3 1/2 c flour, the yeast, salt and 1/4 c of the sugar mixture in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the dough hook. With the mixer on low-speed, add the milk mixture until the dough comes together, about 2 minutes.

3. Increase the speed to medium-low and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. If, after 4 minutes, more flour is needed, add the remaining 1/2 c flour, 2 T at a time, until the dough clears the sides of the bowl but sticks to the bottom.

4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead by hand to form a smooth, round ball. Place the dough in a large, lightly greased bowl and cover with greased plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

5. Grease a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and press into a 20 by 8-inch rectangle with the short side facing you. Spray the dough lightly with water, then sprinkle evenly with the remaining sugar mixture, leaving a 1/2-inch border at the far edge. Lightly spray the sugar mixture with water until it is damp but not wet.

6. Loosen the dough from the work surface using a bench scraper or metal spatula, then roll the dough into a tight cylinder and pinch the seam closed.

(For some reason my bread roll was so big I cut it in half in the middle and made 2 smaller loaves. I was pretty sure what I had was too big for 1 loaf pan and I didn’t want to risk ruining the recipe and wasting my time and ingredients). Place the loaf, seam side down, in the prepared pan. Coat the loaf with vegetable oil spray, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled in size and the dough barely springs back when poked with a knuckle, 45 to 75 minutes.

7. Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Brush the loaf lightly with butter, sprinkle with the reserved sugar mixture, then spray lightly with water. Bake until golden, 40 to 60 minutes, rotating the loaf halfway through baking. Cool the loaf in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and let cool to room temperature, about 2 hours, before serving.

Variation: In step 4, after turning the dough out onto the work surface, knead in 1/2 c raisins by hand until evenly distributed. Proceed as directed.

About these ads

24 Responses to “Cinnamon Swirl Bread”

1. Cloches & Lavender April 28, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

Looks and sounds great.

2. Kim M. Hatfield April 28, 2012 at 1:55 pm #

Oh, yeah! This looks so, so, SO good! Jenna and I are going to try making this next weekend! I love cinnamon swirl bread, and I’ve never made it, so this will be an adventure for me and Jenna :o)

3. NTP April 28, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

I’ve been waiting for you to post this one. What are you posting next?

• jenmaaninamman April 28, 2012 at 3:27 pm #

My favorite recipe of all time: deep dish style pizza. Joey and Mikaela would LOVE it!!!

4. Joe Palumbo April 28, 2012 at 3:33 pm #

This looks soooo good, I can almost smell it…….Dad

5. An Unrefined Vegan April 28, 2012 at 5:59 pm #

Oh this is a wonderful bread, isn’t it? Pretty and homey and delicious.

6. Anne Bonney April 28, 2012 at 7:40 pm #

There’s something magical about the spice.

7. dogear6 April 28, 2012 at 9:43 pm #

I’ve been doing the five minutes a day bread dough (did you see my homemade pizza post? I talked about the dough there). This would be a fun way to use up the rest of the dough. Looks great!

• jenmaaninamman May 2, 2012 at 6:34 am #

I saw the pizza and it looks amazing! It sounds similar to the book Kneadlessly Simple; same idea, no kneading, which I love.

• dogear6 May 2, 2012 at 4:18 pm #

I hadn’t seen Nancy Baggett’s book before, but it does look like it will be a similar technique. I bet she has pizza dough in there too. If not, the Mother Earth News article that I referenced discusses it. I bought the two books I did because I’d tried the MEN article and liked it.

I’ve been enjoying seeing your travels (and cooking) even if I’ve not left many comments.

Pizza tonight is using a cheddar cheese crust. I’ll be posting soon about the latest experiments, including how we wrecked a crust on the new pizza stone. It was a good thing we had more dough to roll out.

8. pimplyserfect April 30, 2012 at 2:09 pm #

Looks yummy! I can just about smell it!

9. Pretty and Delectable May 1, 2012 at 5:22 am #

Yay for baked cinnamon treats! Thanks for checking out my blog earlier today!

• jenmaaninamman May 2, 2012 at 6:36 am #

Thanks for stopping by. I look forward to reading more of your blog.

10. ButterSugarFlowers May 2, 2012 at 6:55 pm #

It looks delicious and perfectly airy — and such a perfect spiral you made!

11. sewandbakeandlove May 3, 2012 at 11:03 am #

I’m having a love affair with cinnamon right now -YUM!

12. kaori May 3, 2012 at 3:36 pm #

This looks delicious. I recently made a pull-apart bread version of cinnamon bread and the smell (and taste too!) was unbelievable. Hey, and I use the same knife! Aren’t they the best?

13. Jules May 3, 2012 at 6:17 pm #

This looks amazing, thank you for sharing! I will definitely be attempting this with some gluten free flour, it looks way to good to miss out on!

14. For Bella and Will May 16, 2012 at 6:57 pm #

Wow, you have some fab recipes, I can’t wait to try some :) Looking forward to reading more :)

15. Luv What You Do May 21, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

This bread is so beautiful.
    I bet it would make amazing French toast!