Brown Sugar Banana Bread

25 Apr

Brown Sugar Banana Bread (from The Back in the Day Cookbook)

[Makes 1 9 inch loaf and two mini loaves]

• 2 c flour
  • 3/4 c packed light brown sugar
  • 3/4 t soda
  • 1/2 t fine sea salt
  • 1 t ground mace (didn’t have so I used nutmeg)
  • 1/2 t ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/4 c pecans toasted and chopped (I substituted 1/2 c mini chocolate chips)
  • 1 1/2 c well-mashed ripe banana (about 3)
  • 1/4 c sour cream (I used reduced fat)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 6 T melted butter, unsalted
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 2 T dark brown sugar for sprinkling (I only had light)

In a large bowl mix first 7 ingredients. Set aside. In a medium bowl. mix everything left except the extra brown sugar. Gently fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture. Scrape it into a lightly sprayed with Pam 9 by 5 inch loaf pan. I had enough extra batter for 2 mini loaves. Sprinkle the tops with the 2T brown sugar.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes. The mini’s took 25 minutes.

Serve warm or at room temp. Enjoy with a little butter and a cold glass of milk.

About these ads

29 Responses to “Brown Sugar Banana Bread”

1. Cloches & Lavender April 25, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

Sounds good and different I am going to try this if I ever get done with my projects I am working on.

Cynthia

• jenmaaninamman April 28, 2012 at 1:35 pm #

Cynthia–why not make it now and enjoy it while you are doing your projects :)

2. zestybeandog April 25, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

Mmmm I’ll take a warm slice right now please! With butter!

3. ibecrafty April 25, 2012 at 1:21 pm #

Yummy!! This looks so delicious!

4. La Deetda Reads April 25, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

I am going to make this today when I get back from Lowe’s where I need to find the perfect decorative shelf brackets. Wish me luck.

5. An Unrefined Vegan April 25, 2012 at 2:21 pm #

Big cup of tea and a thick slice of banana bread….sigh.

6. healthydealsnsteals April 25, 2012 at 2:40 pm #

I love the brown sugar instead of regular white sugar. Great choice! Mmmm…banana bread.

• jenmaaninamman April 28, 2012 at 1:33 pm #

Yes, I have been using brown sugar as much as I can. I am weening my family off white sugar.

7. Sharon April 25, 2012 at 2:51 pm #

Looks delicious!

8. Joe Palumbo April 25, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

Jen, as always it looks and I am sure taste fantastic but what with me on my diet I would have to limit it to two large slices.. That being said I also certain that Dick Leste is quickly preparing these treats as we speak…Dad

9. NTP April 25, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

Nice food styling! I love those mini bakers. Where did you get them. What other things are you baking these days? Do you ever eat any of the things that you make? I made a good sweet potato soup from Giada’s new cookbook that I have and you don’t (the one with the signed bookplate). I know that you don’t want to support her empire but still, the recipes work. Can you get mushrooms and brussel sprouts. She has a recipe for whole wheat spaghetti with these and a low fat lemon cream sauce that uses creme fraiche. It sounds bad but it is really good. Let me know if you want either recipe.

10. Joe Palumbo April 25, 2012 at 3:34 pm #

The bread sounds delicious and your photo shot is lovely. I know you, you might have a little slice of banana bread, but never with milk.
    Mom

11. epicuriousbrit April 25, 2012 at 4:49 pm #

Oooo yum! I am looking for a new banana bread recipe as mine is from England and never works that well out here. The mini ones are so cute!

12. notsoskinnycook April 25, 2012 at 7:10 pm #

Banana bread always makes me long for my childhood days when my dad baked it for us! Your recipe looks delicious! Yum!

• jenmaaninamman April 28, 2012 at 1:25 pm #

I love the way it makes the whole house smell–sweet with a hint of banana.

• jenmaaninamman April 28, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

I love the way it makes the whole house smell–sweet with a hint of banana.

13. marybethhills May 2, 2012 at 6:57 pm #

This looks absolutely delicious! I can’t wait to try this :) I love that you substituted chocolate chips for chopped nuts–I would have done the same!

14. sewandbakeandlove May 3, 2012 at 11:04 am #

Banana bread is the ultimate comfort cake – especially with the butter!

15. daribix May 5, 2012 at 2:27 pm #

we love banana bread…do you know if there are any high altitude directions? baking in the mountains of Colorado!

16. Fudging Ahead May 21, 2012 at 1:55 pm #

I am looking to make a banana nut bread so maybe I will try this!

17. Laurie May 22, 2012 at 11:55 am #

Sounds good. Mace is one of my favorite spices.